If you’ve got a furry friend who’s suffering from pain–whether it’s an injury or chronic illness–you’ve undoubtedly explored the topic of pain relievers to help your pet feel better.
But unfortunately, many of the traditional pain relief options out there come with a range of potential side effects that can be harmful to your dog. One natural pain relief method gaining popularity in recent years is CBD–and for good reason.
In this post, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about natural pain relief for dogs, including the benefits of CBD. Keep reading to learn more about how you can help your furry friend feel better–naturally!
Challenges With Traditional Pain Relief
As any pet owner knows, seeing your dog in pain is one of the worst experiences. When our pups are in pain, we want to do whatever we can to make them feel better.
However, many conventional pain medications can come with scary side effects. The most common type of pain reliever prescribed to dogs is nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These drugs–like Rimadyl and Metacam–are effective in easing pain and inflammation in your pooch, but they also come with a long list of potential health risks, including:
- Gastrointestinal upset and peptic ulcers
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Chronic eye dryness – which can lead to blindness
- Joint damage
The longer your dog takes NSAIDs the more dangerous they become. This is especially true for senior dogs or those with pre-existing health conditions.
Luckily, NSAIDs aren’t your only option when it comes to helping your dog feel better. In fact, there are many natural pain relief methods that can put the pep back in your pup’s step without putting their health at risk.
Natural Pain Relief Methods
Natural remedies offer a safe and effective way to ease your dog’s pain without the risks associated with traditional medications. The best part–you have options!
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is a natural compound found in the hemp plant. Unlike THC–the compound in marijuana that gets you high–CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it won’t make your dog high or cause any negative mental side effects.
CBD works for dogs just like it works for us humans–by interacting with the body’s natural endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for regulating mood, sleep, and pain response.
CBD is safe and effective in dogs when used as an anti-inflammatory pain reliever, and it has a wide range of potential health benefits beyond pain relief, including:
- Anxiety relief
- Epilepsy control
- Relief for cancer symptoms and side effects of cancer treatment
- Managing skin conditions like allergies and hot spots
- Relieving digestive issues
The best thing about CBD is that it has very few potential side effects. And unlike traditional pain medications, your dog can take CBD long-term and it won’t run the risk of harming their health.
Beyond CBD as a natural pain relief for dogs, there are several herbal remedies that can help your dog feel better. Here are a few of the most popular:
- Turmeric has been used for centuries to treat pain and inflammation. Turmeric works by inhibiting the production of inflammatory cytokines and is a great pain reliever for dogs with arthritis.
- Ginger contains natural anti-inflammatory compounds, including gingerols and shogaols, which help to reduce swelling and pain in dogs.
- Feverfew works by inhibiting the production of inflammatory chemicals, making it a great remedy for dogs with conditions like arthritis or joint pain.
- Cumin contains an active ingredient called cuminaldehyde. This compound has natural pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties, which makes cumin effective for dogs with arthritis or other inflammatory conditions.
Joint supplements help to promote healthy joint function and reduce inflammation, making them an effective way to ease your dog’s pain, improve mobility, and prevent further damage.
Here are the supplements that can provide the best natural pain relief for dogs:
- Glucosamine is a natural compound that’s found in the cartilage of healthy joints. It helps to repair and regenerate damaged tissues, making it an effective way to relieve pain and improve mobility in dogs with arthritis.
- Chondroitin is another natural compound that’s found in healthy cartilage. It helps to reduce inflammation, stimulate the production of healthy cartilage, and slow the breakdown of damaged cartilage. Chondroitin is often used in conjunction with glucosamine to provide the best natural pain relief for dogs.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a natural sulfur compound that’s thought to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. MSM is often used to relieve arthritis pain in dogs.
- Fish oil is a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important building blocks of hormones that regulate inflammation and the pain that comes with it.
Give Your Best Friend Comfort – Safely
If you’re looking to try CBD to ease your dog’s pain, it’s important to understand proper dosing and ingredients. Be sure to find a CBD product designed with dogs in mind as CBD oil made for humans isn’t always safe for dogs.
Thumb Coast CBD makes our products in-house using ingredients grown by us. When you shop our store, you know you’re getting a quality CBD product in its most natural form. And, if you’re new to CBD we can help! We are happy to walk you through all the information you need about how to use CBD for you and/or your furry friend safely. Our passion is using cannabis to improve the quality of life–whether you stand on two or four legs.